Saturday, November 24, 2012

Supermassive Games Bake Off


Chocolate Bunny Donut in cake form
 
Chocolate Bunny Donut Plush


I could not resist making one of my characters for the bake off at Supermassive Games, my office job. My baking is often a little unpredictable as I struggle following recipes and measurements. I was a little nervous about baking as I had not baked anything since last year!

Naomi, my sister suggested I make a chocolate bunny donut cake and instantly agreed! I wanted to keep it simple but also wanted to make something nice. I selected the chocolate brownie cake from The Humminghird Bakery Cook Book. It was the first time I cooked form it and I have to say I think it went quite well.  Will definitely be trying out a few more soon.The chocolate bottom and red velvet cupcakes are my favourites from the bakery!!!



The baking station all ready to go

 The recipe was easy to follow. But I did panic over whether my eggs and sugar were light and fluffy enough. :)


 It was very exciting when the mixture started to look cake mixture, all thick and smooth. Tasted great too.



 I managed not see chocolate in the list of ingredients in the recipe! So I was frantically searching for dark chocolate in the cupboards. The only suitable chocolate for dark gianduja with hazelnuts from Italy. At first I tried removing the whole hazel nuts but then decided to just include it in the mix as well.






 In the book the baking tray suggested is a different size and thickness to the tin I chose, so I had to guess the cooking time. This part was the most difficult part of all! I didnt want it to be undercooked or overcooked. The total time was about 50 minutes I htink and ended taking the cake in and out of the oven loads!






The next step was the make the chocolate frosting. For the white icing I went for the cream cheese frosting. Frostings for me usually end up being a disaster but this time they turned out really well!


I was scared the frosting would be too runny but it was all fine. I did put the cake in the fridge overnight just in case the frosting did not stay like that and the cake was still soft and moist the next day.



The mini marshmallows were originally for the teeth but they were too small! I used them to decorate the ears instead and managed to find larger marshmallows during lunch time, just before the competition.


I wish I had taken a photo of the mess I made at the office, assembling my cake! I had to attach the ears and tail on the board. I had only minutes before the bake off started and I was getting chocolate everywhere! I made it just in time! :)



Here are the other cakes that were entered. 





























My chocolate brownie bunny donut cake came third for Best Tasting!
I do wish I had practiced just once before so I knew how long to cook the cake for. But overall it was very successful! :)


Frosted Brownie and cream frosting recipe taken from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.



1 comment: